Lifetime welfare- not only on holidays

 

TAKE CARE OF YOUR PET FOR A LIFE - NOT ONLY HOLIDAYS

Arsinoi Georgana, Veterinarian AUTH

 

The delicacies are a temptation! And especially now that the holidays are coming. But while it is tempting to give your dog or cat some tableware, many popular holiday treats can be really dangerous to their health. While a single slice of turkey may not seem overwhelming, for a cat it could be equivalent to seven slices of turkey in man!

To give a treat or not?

Some dogs and cats are very good at begging for food and behaving as if they are fasting for days! But what they often want is just your attention, not part of your festive dish. So try playing with your cat or taking a walk with your dog rather than sharing your meal. Feeding your pet with food left over from the table not only encourages bad habits - and having your pet at the table, especially when you have guests, can be prohibitive, but feeding human beings in general can have an adverse effect on their health.So don't be afraid to ask your honorable guests not to eat scraps of food or give the wrong type of delicacy.

Watch out for the chocolate!

Allowing your dog or cat to eat sweets intended for humans can disrupt its digestive system. The best example is chocolate, which is the most common food that causes toxic effects on dogs and cats. It is very difficult to determine exactly how much chocolate should be consumed by your pet before problems occur, as it depends on the type of chocolate. The good quality chocolate with a high percentage of cocoa, tends to be the most dangerous, and the unsweetened chocolate confectionery and cocoa powder is also more toxic to dogs and cats from the typical milk chocolate. The toxic component of chocolate is theobromine. As theobromine is slowly metabolized, giving small amounts each day can be just as harmful as giving too much chocolate at a time.

Some food residues are toxic to dogs and cats!

Feeding your pet with very rich food or some human delicacies can upset its digestive system. However, there are other delicacies that are particularly dangerous for dog and cat digestion, for example, onions, garlic and certain vegetables contain substances that can be toxic and can cause a form of anemia. And remember, it's not just the raw form of these vegetables that you should avoid feeding, as broth and sauces that cover a meal can also contain these ingredients. You should also take care of other delicacies that are harmful to the dog and cat's digestion, such as grapes and raisins.

Although milk is not toxic to cats in general, many cats have lactose intolerance and may suffer from vomiting, diarrhea and stomach upset when they drink it.

Proper nutrition in the right amount

Although we often feel guilty about over-eating during the festive season, we should not follow this tactic for our pets. Feeding your dog or cat too much or giving them unhealthy snacks during the holidays will add extra pounds, which can lead to an increased risk of serious illness such as diabetes, arthritis or heart problems.

Still, with so many people at home, Christmas can be very stressful for your pet. To minimize discomfort, maintain a routine as well as a well-balanced diet. You can also reward your dog or cat by diversifying their food, combining fresh and dry food and changing the taste from time to time. However, keep the recommended daily amounts.

So think before you pay. You may allow yourself to eat a pie, but don't give one to your dog - it will cover more than a quarter of the recommended daily calorie intake. For a 5 kg cat, a cup of milk equals calories to an adult eating 4 ½ burgers or 5 chocolate bars and 30 g cheddar cheese equals 3 ½ burgers or 4 chocolate bars!! And if any of your family members or friends try to give your dog or cat a little festive treat, show them the chart below that shows some of the common dog and cat related treats with humans!

All this extends to other pets such as bunnies - hamster and other small animals. While it may seem tempting to give a piece of brooch to your pet, you are feeding it huge amounts of sugar and fat, completely unnatural to its own eating habits and bad for its health.

So we always remember not to drift in and change the eating habits of our beloved pet to avoid such behavioral problems that will take a long time to correct but most importantly to avoid significant health risks!



Shops

 

Bank details